ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
VF Rash - What Does It Look Like?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ladysmith52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: VF Rash - What Does It Look Like? Reply with quote

Hi Jo -

Welcome to the States! I'm so sorry to hear of your travails since you've arrived. Sad It must be very hard for your son to see this move as a positive one right now. Poor guy! My prayers are with you and your family.

You asked in an earlier post about psoriasis.....I did some research yesterday and found where psoriasis appears as a plaque, turns brown and crusty and then leaves. This is what mine have done. If your son's plaques are doing the same, chances are good this is what we both have. I am using Elocon lotion on the spots and they are disappearing in about 4-5 days (your doc can give you a prescription for it). One of the articles I read yesterday told me that a plaque that appears on one side of the body will also appear (at the same time) on the other side. If not in the exact same position, close to it. The VF dissemination appears differently.

I researched and found pictures of disseminated VF plaques. It appears that they pus and become crater-like. So if your son's plaques are like mine, it is most likely psoriasis.

Now....the actual "cause" of the plaques is another subject altogether. For the most part, it may be an immunological response by our bodies when under alot of stress or attack by diseases. I suppose it could be caused by a fungal problem such as VF. Does anybody out there know??? Question

Sheila: Do you have any experience with these plaques we're talking about? Any remedies? Also, I bought some Milk Thistle to help my liver accommodate the Diflucan......can you tell me how best to take this, when and how much? Thanks! Smile

Diane
Sheila

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Diane. You know, when I had the meningitis last year I had a rash on my back that was red, defined, itchy, bumpy. I just used aloe vera gel on it. With the dogs I have known with vf lesions, weeping pustule-like blisters with vf in them, we have been successful with a salve containing colloidal silver. An aloe salve with silver has been used for psoriasis and I would suggest alternating it with the medicine you mentioned for this.

As for Milk Thistle, most people get the standardized extract. For this I like the NOW brand Silymarin as the price is better than most others and it's a good product. You can take around 1500-2000mg daily. It doesn't have to be exact, it's not like the fluc. More is good right now. I would split it in 2 doses, assuming you take the fluc twice a day, and take it about an hour before the meds, assuming you are taking the meds with food. That should put the milk thistle on an empty stomach and the drug with some good fats to help carry it to the duodenum for absorption. Bottom line, don't take the herb with the drug and try to take the herb on an empty stomach. Of course with my little Jennie she gets both with her food and still it's working! So there! Do the best you can with these guidelines. Smile
Sheila
Jo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Diane

The skin rash sounds exactly like my sons. It is appearing on both sides of the body. I am going to run to the health food store tonight and pick up some milk thistle. I will also cut the dairy out of his diet. His favorite was poached eggs and toast for breakfast...well no more!! Thanks so much to everyone for being so supportive.

Jo
Sheila

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo, don't take away his favorite eggs and toast. Things are tough enough. More like cheese and milk products are the ones to worry about. Eggs are good protein. He needs good protein. And he needs something he likes! At least it's not pizza and ice cream!
Sheila
Ladysmith52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: VF Rash - What Does It Look Like? Reply with quote

Hi Sheila -
Thanks for giving me all the info re: the milk thistle and Diflucan. That helps alot to know where to begin Smile

I'll keep in mind the natural remedies for the psoriasis too.

Jo - I'm happy to hear that your son's patches are not pustules. That's good news!

Hopefully, we'll all be feeling much better soon Smile
Diane
phillipb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: vf rash Reply with quote

the year after the first run in with vf, i developed these round red spots that were about the size of a 50 cent piece or a quarter.
about 200 of them.

I told the skin doctor i had broken out in pepperonis,
I was major stressed about vf, a skin sample was taken and it was ecezema. Doc gave me some stuff to put on it and it went away.
Calming down helped too
Jo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just checked on my son and the backs of his arms in the tricep area is covered with these circles. Some are connected some are not. He has a lot more on his legs. His last titer was 1:2 and he is still on the diflucan. We are back in Canada for the holidays. I was hoping the cold fresh air would have improved things. He says he feels good but this is turning into a full blown rash not just one or two spots.
My concerns are going to the docs here. They wouldnt have a clue what this is and we are not scheduled to return for 2 weeks. Has anyone had something similiar happen? Is this maybe a reaction to the diflucan? Any thoughts would help.

jo
Ladysmith52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: VF Rash - What Does It Look Like? Reply with quote

Jo -

Can you give us more explicit info on the rash?

How big are the spots?

Are they bright red? Do they look like the other plaques he had before?

Do they itch or burn?

Are they crusty on top as they start to disappear?

How quickly did they appear?

It could be an allergy to the Diflucan as there is info I read telling that if a rash develops you should let the doctor know. Can you put a call into your son's doc in AZ? Maybe they will consult with you over the phone.

I'm hoping others on the site will be able to help you. I can certainly understand your hesitancy to get involved with doctors out of the endemic area.

Diane - CA
Jo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane,

His spots are approx the size of a pencil eraser. Some have jaggy edges. There are quite a few joined together. They have really inceased in number in the last two days. They have already turned crusty brown. It looks like very dry patchy skin that needs lotion. He says they are itchy but not like the rash he had with the outbreak of valley fever.

This all started one morning he came to the breakfast table and said he didnt feel well then seconds later threw up. He said his back hurt (around his kidneys) he looked very yellow. So I took him into the hospital and they felt it was kidney stones. None of the tests revealed that. His chest xrays showed pneumonia. They put him on an intervenous for the rest of the day and sent us on our way with a pnuemonia diagnosis. When I think back to the onset of the symptoms it scares me. His fever was so high, spinal pain, vomiting and his eyes told us he was in trouble. I told the doctor to please test him for the valley fever form of pneumonia rather than bacterial. The attending doctor felt there was no way he could have conrtacted valley fever so quick. We hadnt been there long enough.

When he was first treated with "pneumonia" they had him on eyrthromycin(sp). The next morning he woke up with huge swollen lips and then the spots or what they thought were hives appeared. His hands were covered then his back , arms and legs. None on his face except for the swollen lips. The doctors felt it was an allergic reaction to the medication. They put him on another antibiotic. When that 10 days was done he still had the lung pain and they proceeded to test for valley fever. At this point the rash was long gone except for the peeling of his hands. It seemed that where the hives or spots were on his hands the skin was now peeling off in patches. Once on the diflucan the peeling stopped and so did the feirce itchiness he had all over. He has been on diflucan now for about two months. His titers when diagnosed were 1:8. But this was a month after the big outbreak. His energy level has been very low but slowly coming around. his last titer reading was three weeks ago at 1:2. Now these spots.
Sheila

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo, consider taking him to a local doctor, even a dermatologist, just to get a professional opinion. This really sounds like it is not directly vf related, more likely secondary. His onset symptoms reek of liver problems, especially the yellow color, medically known as jaundice.

Liver problems tend to show up as skin conditions as a general rule. The stress of vf, the stress of going up to Canada, stress stress stress, could certainly cause the liver to outbreak an eczema. The root cause is unknown, as it could be vf, drug sensitivity, strictly stress, diet indiscretion. But it sounds a little like what phillipb described and perhaps there is a medical topical that would ease it until you get home. I still recommend aloe vera gel no matter what it is. Consider a referral from anyone for a doctor/dermatologist. Poor kid. He could use a little relief.
Sheila
Ladysmith52

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jo -

Sheila has good advice there. Most probably the red plaques are secondary and a topical agent will relieve him. I used Elocon lotion (prescription) on mine but then I stopped that and began putting on Bag Balm (which I also use on my chapped lips - which I've acquired thanks to Diflucan!). I just love this Bag Balm stuff. I'm using it for everything Smile

It would ease your mind if you could have a dermatologist look at him although the doc may not know much about any Diflucan ramifications.

Another route would be to contact a local pharmacist and ask him/her what type of rash you can get if you're having a reaction to Diflucan. But it's doubtful that that's what your son is dealing with here. Most likely, it's just a skin problem caused by the Diflucan useage.

Knowledge is always the best prescription so keep researching everything.

As your son is brought down on his Diflucan amount I think he'll feel better. I know I have felt much better these past two weeks since cutting down to 200mg/day. Smile

Please keep us posted and good luck!

Diane - CA
kat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't really have anything to do with skin rashes but thought it might be helpful for anyone with mouth sores. Max was on 1200 mg Diflucan and started having really bad mouth sores. The doctor said it was a yeast infection and was really stumped by it as Diflucan is what they give for yeast infections. They gave him a mouth wash that helped tremendously. Later he developed a rash on his private parts. His family doctor didn't know what to do for it. I suggested a topical cream for a yeast infection since he had it earlier in his mouth. The doctor seemed dubious but agreed to try it. It cleared right up. Don't know if this will help but you never know.
Jo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well good news. The rash has subsided with the use of aloe vera gel. Also I am giving him 400 mg of milk thistle a day. The rash is still there but under control from what I can tell today. But everyday is a different one and it changes so rapidly. His skin can look good in the morning by dinner and then pow a breakout by lunch.

jo
Ladysmith52

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaaaaay! Sheila's idea of the aloe vera gel did the trick! The participants on this site are just great! Smile
Merry Christmas to everyone!
Diane - CA
Ladysmith52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kat -

I really appreciate reading your posts because everything we can learn about how VF presented in someone else might just possibly help any one of us at some time.

I haven't personally had any mouth sores (other than some fever blisters and badly chapped lips - which may be caused by taking Diflucan) but you never know what can happen tomorrow with this disease. It is such an insidious thing!

Thanks for staying involved with this message board. You're a huge help to me as I'm a new sufferer here (October 2005).

Happy & Health New Year! Smile

Diane - CA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: